Small Beginnings



I was very happy that professor assigned me to read Timmermeister’s book, because now I can finally learn where the delicious ingredients in chipotle come from! However, jokes aside I find it ironic to be reading this book about a guy who opened a restaurant, being myself a guy who wants to open a restaurant someday. I’m not sure whether Kurt’s story will serve me as an inspiration or a discouragement, but he gives very interesting insights to the restaurant business as well as the hardships of owning a farm. I’ve been on a farm, lived there for short periods of time and one thing I learned for sure that it is a lot of hard work.


What struck out most to me is how the author describes darkness. Living in the city we never actually realize what pitch black really is. First time I experienced it was during a camping trip I took with a group of camping enthusiasts. In the city everything just gets dim, much like when many parents turn off the main light in the kids' room kids, but leave a night light, to keep the boogeyman away. It is most evident when you’re flying on a plane, 19,000 feet high, and the city lights somehow illuminate your airplane window. Pitch black is very spooky and unnerving, that's when you start doubting yourself about whether those scary stories we told each other during our childhood were actually true. I know it, I felt it, and I don’t know how I fell asleep that night with the boogeyman waiting outside my tent...

2 comments:

  1. I also found the darkness anecdote very interesting, I really enjoyed your take on it. Thank goodness for night lights. I also love the format of your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the use of that picture. It helps to emphasize the part about darkness. I really do hope you find this book as an inspiration rather than discouragement.

    ReplyDelete